Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Part-Time Work as a Teaching Assistant

Finally, on the last semester of my two-year masters, I got a job as a teaching assistant in the university. As I've written before, international postgraduate students on valid student visas can work in New Zealand. But whether there's work for you, now that's the question. Those with health, science, engineering and tourism backgrounds will find it fairly easy to find work here (a co-scholar who was a nurse immediately got hired at a hospital, while another Filipino scholar with experience in the hotel industry found a job at a service apartment). As you know, I come from the legal sector in the Philippines, and I found it extremely difficult to look for a job in my industry. For one thing, the law I know is different from the law they practice here. And for another, even if I did know their law, there's just not enough legal jobs for lawyers, at least here in Auckland. Siguro mas may chance pa sa Wellington, where the national government is based, but I digress.

I got this job because I received an e-mail blast a few months ago from the department coordinator announcing openings for graduate teaching assistants. And having been a college instructor back home, I felt this was right up my alley. So I filled up the application form, attached my supporting documents, and submitted them to the department. You get hired either as a tutor or a marker. A tutor teaches part of the course, while a marker checks coursework and other assessments. I signed up and got hired as a marker, which is supposed to be easier of the two. Pero hindi rin kasi mahirap mag-check ng essay. Hahaha.

But I'm not complaining. The extra income is good as it can supplement my stipend, and I  get to save some money for home. It's also a nice diversion to do something other than your studies and/or research--a job breaks the monotony of academic life. 

I only wish I knew about the GTA programme earlier in my studies. I could have been a tutor or a marker last year pa. So my advice, if you're like me who can't find a job related to your line of work in the Philippines, you might want to consider being a GTA. When you get here in New Zealand, look for and approach your department coordinator. Ask if there's an opening for tutor or markers. The chances are you're too late for that semester (as they hire prior to the start of the sem), but you can ask to be put on the mailing list. That way, the moment they open applications for the next semester, you'll be the first to know.

So, good luck! Hope this post helped!


4 comments:

  1. Hello! The GTA programme sounds good!. I'm a NZAS scholar for 2016 and I was also a university instructor before. Do you think it's possible to get a teaching assistant position during my first semester in UoA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! That's great! For 1st Sem, I doubt it though. The application form requires you to submit your University ID card as well as your IRD (tax) number, both of which you will get when you arrive. Also, the application requires you to seek your thesis supervisor approval first, and attend the tutor workshop a month before the semester starts. So, medyo malabo. But you can still try. Contact your department and ask about the GTA programme. Who knows, they may need someone with your background. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I see. Thank you for the info Kris! Your blog is very informative; it's great. I will just try to contact the department. Thanks a lot! :D

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! Good luck next year! And don't forget to have fun while in New Zealand! It's part of the educational experience!

      Delete