Sunday, July 14, 2013

Where to Eat in Auckland Part 1 (International Fast Food)

My wife packed a simple cookbook for me so I can prepare my own dishes here in New Zealand. I haven't opened it since I got here.

If you're like me who doesn't really cook, you can only take so much spam, corned beef, sandwiches, cereal and oatmeal. If you want to stay sane, sometimes you have to eat out. As a postgrad student with a limited budget, that means eating at cheap places. 

Let's start with international comfort food--meals from chains we are familiar with.

Mcdonalds. There's one on Queen Street. A deluxe cheeseburger meal costs NZ$5.00 (PhP170.00). The burger and the fries tastes the same, just like in the Philippines and practically everywhere.

Burger King. There's also one on Queen Street (you'll notice most of the fast food joints can be found on Queen St.). A Whopper Jr steal meal is NZ$5.00 (PhP170.00). Not my favorite. The burger doesn't taste nice.

Wendys. You guessed it, there's a Wendy's on Queen Street. A cheeseburger meal is also NZ$5.00 (PhP 170.00). What I like about this meal is that it comes with a Frosty (albeit in a small cup, but still!). I think for NZ$5, this meal is bang for the buck!

Carl's Jr. Also on Queen St., at the Metro/Civic Theatre do be exact. When I'm hungry for a mean burger I go to Carl's Jr. A Western Bacon Cheeseburger will set you back around NZ$11.00 (PhP 370.00) but it's worth it. The burger is filling and the soda is refillable.

Pizza Hut. Let's move to pizza. The closes Pizza Hut I know in the CBD is on Kingston St., between Hobson and Federal Sts, but the one I go to is at Quay Street, next to the gas station fronting the bay. They have regular sized pizzas for only NZ$4.90 (PhP 160.00)! The options are very basic though: Cheese, Hawaiian, Veg Delight, Mushroom & Cheese, Ham & Cheese, Beef & Onion, Pepperoni and Classic Italian. You can choose between Classic, Thin 'n Crispy, and Deep Pan. 

Dominos. An alternative can be Dominos. They have one on Elliot St. They also have value pizzas priced at NZ$5.00 (PhP170.00). There's Cheese, Ham & Cheese, Pepperoni, Hawaiian, Beef & Onion, and Veg Trio.

KFC. Don't worry, they have KFC here. Apparently, many Pacific Islanders like KFC too. The branch I go to is on Quay St., right next to the Pizza Hut. They have NZ$5.00 (PhP170.00) Lunch meals. Five bucks can get you 2-piece chicken, coleslaw (or mashed potatoes) and a soda. By now you'd notice budget meals for fast food chains are set at NZ$5.00. That's the cheapest.

Subway. Finally, if you like to eat healthy, there's Subway. Subway has the most branches around the CBD. There's one on Beach Road, another in Britomart, Queen St., and Symonds St. A classic 6' tuna sub costs NZ$6.00 (PhP200.00). Add a drink, it'll cost NZ$7.00 (PhP235.00). I used to frequent Subway until I started making my own sandwiches for way cheaper.

If you've never been to New Zealand, and was afraid you'd leave your favorite fast food comfort food in the Philippines, don't despair. Most of them are here.

Next time, I'll list the fast food restaurants local to New Zealand like Burger Fuel.

3 comments:

  1. "If you've never been to New Zealand, and was afraid you'd leave your favorite fast food comfort food in the Philippines, don't despair. Most of them are here."

    Well, at least sa Auckland. Walang Carl's Jr at Dunkin' Donuts dito. Malayo ang Wendy's (20 mins by train). And yeah, KFC. The theory is that the bigger the KFC, the bigger the population of Pacific Islanders in that suburb. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, you were my source for that KFC statement. :)

      Delete
  2. I have read your content and it's really interesting, very hard to find out this knowledge sharing materials throughout the web.
    Wine Tour Auckland

    ReplyDelete